Saturday, December 5, 2009

Prada Soho NY, and a Christmas gift to myself.



Ok, so everyone knows how cool the NY Soho Prada on Broadway is. Despite being there since 2001, however, this was in fact my first visit to the store, and it was visually even better in person, than in the pictures I had previously seen in architecture and design magazines. Please excuse my pictures therefore for not doing it justice, I was trying to be discreet and not to look too touristy.





The central feature of the store is a zebra wood wave that undulates through the store from the street level to the basement level. There are also, motorized hanging display cases that can be moved across tracks in the ceiling, and a flip-out stage for in-store events and parties. I also loved the giant trunks used as display cases downstairs in the women's shoe department, and the amazing luggage selection which was displayed as you entered the store. Designed by Rem Koolhaas/OMA the store also features an annually-changing block-length wall completely covered in a specially designed wallpaper.

Whilst in the store, apart from all the beautiful clothes, I found myself lusting after the large hat boxes, wishing that the money fairies would deliver me enough $ (or any other currency) so I could get my paws on one. My purchases however were restricted to a pair of shoes (not for me, but for my significant other), and as I had been meaning to get a copy of the Prada book, I thought now was a good time, to treat myself, what with it being Christmas (nearly) and all.

The book, whilst rather expensive, is well worth the money. It covers everything from the history of the brand, collaborations with artists, the future of the label, and pictures of collections and ad campaigns from previous seasons up to 2009. Here are a few of my favorite shots of inside the book, which again, do not do justice to the real thing.




Shoes glorious shoes!



designs under construction


nude dress S/S 2005


Fall 1991


Clutches Fall 2007


Pink Shoes S/S 2006


 See-through trench Fall 2002


 Fall 2002


S/S 1991

Happy Christmas to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment